Nupqu Limited Partnership (Nupqu) is an Indigenous-owned business with offices located in Cranbrook, Fernie, and Castlegar, BC. We are seeking a highly motivated and skilled GIS Specialist to join our growing company to fill a full-time permanent position based out of one of our offices. As the GIS Specialist, you will be servicing the needs of our growing team within the disciplines of environmental science, forestry, archeology, and new business. Responsibilities include assigned tasks in map production, executing GIS analysis functions, database development, implementing GIS models, and data management. Additional tasks will include working with Senior staff to focus on business development strategies for existing and new clients, along with designing user documentation and training materials for Nupqu staff to ensure the company meets various commitments to clients and stakeholders. This role will involve working in tandem with Project Managers and other resource professionals.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
· Maintain Nupqu’s Geographic Information database by entering and editing graphic and non-graphic data from various sources.
· Support interdepartmental projects by preparing detailed specifications for both spatial and non-spatial data and integrating new data into existing databases.
· Implement new database functionality with Nupqu’s existing programs to improve on multidisciplinary functionality between departments.
· Cartographic production, data compilation/editing/creation, GIS analysis, database creation-design, geoprocessing, georeferencing, data conversion, and metadata implementation.
· Engage, train, and mentor employees regarding our GIS capabilities and functionality as follows:
o provide training to managers and field staff to ensure functional data delivery;
o integrate ESRI Survey 123 capabilities into current program delivery; and,
o work closely with Project Managers to better implement project deliverables to clients.
· Produce digital maps, report charts, and other geospatial products to support fieldwork activities.
· Manage the development and maintenance of processes, tools, methodologies, and automation processes required to support business growth.
· Ensure quality control, job organization, and tracking of plans to completion based on workflow.
· Complete existing procedures (update/publish base maps, drone ortho mosaics, reference maps, etc.)
· Drone survey data collection and processing using photogrammetry software when required.
· Adhering to established Quality Assurance/Quality Control Processes.
· Support our partnership company with delivering projects outside of the Nupqu organization.
· Mentor Jr GIS Specialists at Nupqu to grow internal capacity within our organization.
POSITION QUALIFICATIONS (Required)
Education and Experience
· University, college, or technical institute graduate in GIS, Geography, or related discipline.
· Minimum of 3 – 5 years of professional GIS experience related to environmental, archeological, mining, forestry, or engineering disciplines.
· Strong proficiency with ESRI suite and understanding of GIS concepts, spatial analysis, related software integration, database design, spatial modeling, and data quality standards.
· Working knowledge of MS Office with strong written and verbal communication skills.
· Motivated self-starter, able to work with minimal supervision, and able to manage several geospatial requests within different departments.
· Proficient cartographer, able to create maps at – or above – regulatory and industry standards for multiple sectors, combining science, aesthetics and technique with a keen eye for detail.
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE
· Experience with ArcGIS Pro and ArcGIS Online (AGO).
· Mobile data collection tools and AGO products (WebMaps, WebApps, Dashboards, etc).
· Build relationships with new and existing clients to support business development for Nupqu.
· Shares in the core values of Nupqu as an Indigenous-owned company.
· Willingness to improve and implement new processes to strengthen Nupqu`s GIS capacity.
· ESRI technical certifications may be given additional consideration.
The GIS Specialist position will mainly involve office-based work with the opportunity to complete drone-based flight missions with support on desktop photogrammetry. Some light lifting of supplies and materials from time to time will also be required. This is a salaried position based on a 37.5-hour work week. If additional time is required outside of this, the GIS Specialist will be compensated based on Nupqu’s overtime policy.
The successful candidate will be a self-motivated individual with excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to liaise effectively with both staff and outside contacts. The successful candidate will have the ability to work independently and will take initiative to maintain work output. This person will have an excellent command of the English language, both oral and written. Must be a team player with good organizational skills and apply flexibility to perform multiple tasks.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org