8425 Mission Road, Cranbrook
Nupqu Native Plants is a division of Nupqu Resource Ltd Partnership which is a wholly owned First Nations Business. Nupqu Native Plants is the formerly Tipi Mountain Native Plants and is the Kootenay’s largest native plant nursery operation, propagating over 80 different native plant species for mine reclamation, ecological restoration, and landscaping. Native plants are indigenous to the local ecosystem and therefore strongly support ecological sustainability and biodiversity.
Nupqu Native Plants is looking for a skilled and ambitious horticulturist to be our Lead Grower. This position will lead various projects and be responsible for the horticultural program at the nursery. The duties and responsibilities for this position are far ranging, and key responsibilities include horticultural requirements, project management, supervision, and quality control. The candidate must be flexible to work weekends as required.
Skills and Qualifications
· Qualified horticulturalist or B.Sc.
· management and growing experience in a greenhouse setting
· In depth understanding of plant production, fertilization, and propagation including stratification and germination
· Experience supervising and training employees
· Willing to learn, experiment, and try new and innovative techniques while maintaining organized and detailed records
· Ability to do physical work regularly.
· Strong interpersonal skills especially when working as a team member
Additional Desired Skills and Qualifications
· Experience working with BC native species
· Seed collecting and cleaning
· Skills in viability testing of seeds
· Skilled in plant cultivation, pest and disease control experience in inventory controls and counts
· Work in collaboration with Operations Manager to develop quotes and budgets to support the development of project proposals
· Ensure vendor contract obligations are met through strong project management
· Ensure adequate inventory is maintained and managed
· Work in collaboration with Operations Manager to ensure reporting requirements are adhered to
· Oversee the production of all plant material from seeds or cuttings through to plugs or pots
· Germination testing and quality assessment
· Ensure strong inventory control systems are in place and adhered to
· ensure adherence to internal and external policy and legislation
· Provide supervision to NNP horticulture team
· Provide hands-on training to employees. This may include training in the areas of propagation via cuttings, seed, and transplanting as well as instruction on watering, fertilizing and weeding
· Promote a positive work environment through effective communication and respect of all employees
Quality Control & Risk Management
· Background and knowledge in Health and Safety regulations in BC
· Ensure internal and external occupation health and safety requirements are adhered to
· Maintain strong inventory controls
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com