Nupqu Limited Partnership
“Nupqu” is the Ktunaxa word for black bear and represents the powerful and resourceful nature of our organization.
Specializing in natural resource management consulting and contracting services within the Ktunaxa Traditional Territory - Nupqu is proudly owned by all communities of the Ktunaxa Nation.
Our organization has a proven track record of natural resource management, initially operating as the Ktunaxa Kinbasket Development Corporation beginning in 1997, and as Nupqu Development Corporation since 2009. In 2020 Nupqu updated its name to reflect its growing number of services.
A responsible, profitable corporation that contributes to our thriving Ktunaxa Nation economy.
- Identify and monetize potential economic opportunities
- Provide sustainable economic benefit to Ktunaxa citizens, communities and businesses
- Build and maintain partnerships, working agreements, and business relationships
In Our History and Profile
Nupqu provides professional land and resource management and the opportunity for industry and government to engage Ktunaxa Buisness in the Ktunaxa Traditional Territory. Our main office is located just outside the ʔaq̓am community north of Cranbrook, BC. We also have a second office located in downtown Fernie to support our operations in the Elk Valley.
Our employees, made up of many recognized and certified natural resource professionals, have a strong reputation of providing quality services in the resource industries throughout the region. Nupqu’s diverse work-force offers a broad range of certified experience and expertise while providing opportunities for professional and career development for Aboriginal people within the region.
From 1997 to 2009, Nupqu operated as the Ktunaxa Kinbasket Development Corporation. Nupqu was incorporated in 2009 as a independent business owned by the four communities of the Ktunaxa Nation and the Ktunaxa Nation Council Society. The five fingers of our bear paw logo exemplifies the five owners of the company while the paw pad symbolizing the importance of the Ktunaxa community as a whole in our the success of our mandate.
We continually explore new opportunities in economic development, resource-related ventures and other initiatives.
Key Benefits of our Services
In addition to working with an experienced, competitive and professional First Nation resource management consulting and contracting business, some of the major benefits provided to our clients include:
- Ability to carry out business activities in association with a Ktunaxa business when working in the Traditional Territory
- Meeting First Nation or Aboriginal corporate objectives
- Access to cost-competitive, available, local and professionally trained work force
- Consolidated project work by dealing with one contractor on a variety of project deliverables
Nupqu Limited Partnership is committed to providing a safe and healthy workplace, compliance with governmental agencies, pertinent regulatory requirements, and our client’s practices and procedures. As a SAFE Company certified by the BC Forest Safety Council, our SAFE Certification provides business owners, managers, employees, contractors, partners and customers the assurance of knowing that a recognized and reviewed worker health and safety program is in place at all times.
In fulfilling our mandate, Nupqu Limited Partnership incorporates a number of principles which provide direction for our day to day operations and code of conduct as follows:
- Partner with and build relationships with Ktunaxa Nation communities and businesses as a first priority.
- Employ and train staff to meet Nupqu’s business client requirements with Ktunaxa Nation citizens as a first priority.
- Respect and honor the cultural values of the Ktunaxa Nation, communities and citizens.
- Implement appropriate financial controls and ensure transparency of financial data and performance.
- Recognize and endorse the practice of operating in an ethical, social and environmentally responsible manner.
- Deliver professional and competitive service to all clients.
- Preserve and develop cultural heritage through management of lands and resources within traditional lands.
Nupqu and HemmeraWe have recently aligned our services with Hemmera Envirochem Inc. (Hemmera), a full-service, boutique environmental consultancy that offers a range of services in Environmental Planning and Ecology, Community Engagement and Social Sciences, and Site Assessment and Remediation. Nupqu and Hemmera (a wholly owned subsidiary of Ausenco Engineering Canada Inc.) have built a strategic business relationship that offers multiple benefits to our clients, projects, and communities. Hemmera and Nupqu have been nurturing and formalizing this strategic alliance for more than three years. Our relationship continues to grow, helping us build mutual capacity while independently and jointly pursuing project opportunities supported by the right mix of staff on each project. We also have sub-contracting and professional services agreements in place to support prompt service delivery with industry-standard safety programs and liability provisions in place.
Our Management Team
Chris Ma, P.Eng
Project Manager - Safety and General Contracting
Project Manager - Aquatic/Wildlife Assessment, Construction Environmental Monitoring
Stefan Wicharuk, B.A.Sc.
Project Manager - Water Quality, Construction Environmental Monitoring